Monday, July 13, 2009

Autobiographical Note by Warren Eyster

I was born in Steelton, Pennsylvania, on January 2, 1925. Except for brief periods, I lived with my grandfather until I was seventeen. I delivered newspapers, sold subscriptions, and at the age of fourteen was a collector for overdue accounts. I learned to live hard at an early age.
At seventeen I was graduated from high school, and took a job with the Army Air Corps as an hydraulic learner. In August of 1942 I met two friends on their way to the Navy recruiting office. I just walked along with them. I enlisted and they did not.
I loved the sea. I found war exciting. I loved going into port. I lost a finger and got shook up a bit. I spent some time in a naval hospital and then worked in a mental hospital. After this, I became a pest-control sailor on a naval base in swamp land, and spent my time hunting down coyotes, rats, mice, mosquitoes and gophers. I got so bored I would track down coyotes with a club. After that I worked in a lumber yard.
When I was discharged, I went to work for the Army Air Corps again. Boredom led me to take a job with an old man who had a steam saw and a track of lumber. I was paid hardly anything, but got enough logs to build a cabin. A friend and I built it, all but the roof. To live we cut grass, cut down or trimmed trees, and sold ice cream at a summer resort. Winter came, so I took a job with Piper Cub of Lock Haven.
Somewhere in the midst of all that I applied to go to college and wound up at the Harrisburg Academy, where two months later they told me I was good college material. Two years later I was a college graduate. Then I attended the University of Virginia and went sailing along great guns towards a Master's. Except for Chaucer and Milton. I have no gripe against Chaucer and Milton, but I have plenty against the way they are taught.
I began writing Far from the Customary Skies at graduate school. Two of the professors thought it was good. That made me figure I had enough education. In the way of acknowledgement, I owe a great deal to several of my professors.
I have been writing pretty steadily since leaving graduate school, while taking jobs. I spent some time in Mexico working with the Friends. I once set pins in a bowling alley. I worked for the post office- and so on.

1 comment:

  1. Ran across this nicely written article on my father. I sent it to him and he enjoyed it. He is alive and well and has been working on a large number of manuscripts over the years. He continues to write but has not pursued publishing his works through the modern book publishers of today.

    I was very curious as to who William Coate is and if you knew my father. He has finally entered the computer world (though his computer is very old) and now has internet access. I am sending him a link to this blog.

    Thanks again for this tribute. Loreta Eyster Godwin

    ReplyDelete